Coaching for learning
All you need to support a learner as they progress along their learning journey
What have we got here?
Coaching for learning is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who provides support to people engaged in learning and development activities, regardless of your job role. No prior knowledge or experience is required – just a willingness to do a great job of helping people to fulfil their potential.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- differentiate between coaching, mentoring, instructing and facilitating;
- help the learner to set specific, measurable goals for their learning experiences;
- help the learner to check the current reality – where they are now;
- help the learner to review available options for bridging the gap between their goals and the current reality;
- help the learner to decide on a way forward.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is comprised of eight lessons, each of which includes at least one video and sometimes an optional activity to complete. You'll also be provided with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference, including a quick reference guide and an infographic.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey certificate. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (3:08)
StartOur coaching toolkit (2:02)
StartTwo examples (7:41)
StartHelping learners to set goals (3:49)
StartHelping learners to reflect on reality (3:18)
StartHelping learners to review options (3:05)
StartHelping learners to select a way forward (2:41)
StartTwo examples revisited (7:52)
StartPutting your learning into practice
StartBefore you go