Unleashing the power of digital content
Bring your learning content into the digital age
What have we got here?
Unleashing the power of digital learning content is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
The course acts as a foundation to anyone taking a serious interest in digital content design and development. It looks at the essential principles and processes that apply whatever type of content you’re producing, whether you’re going to do the designing and developing yourself or whether you’re working with specialists. If you apply the principles and processes covered in this course, you’ll have gone a long way to professionalise your digital content skills and dramatically improve your effectiveness.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who expects to play a role in the design and development of any form of digital learning content, whether you will be managing that process, working on a team with specialists or doing it all yourself.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- recognise opportunities for the effective application of digital learning content;
- analyse a requirement for digital learning content in terms of the underlying need, the desired learning outcomes, the audience characteristics and the practical constraints;
- construct learning objectives for specific pieces of digital learning content;
- describe the various roles that you could play in the design and development of digital learning content;
- given a particular set of circumstances, select an appropriate process for the design and development of digital learning content;
- list strategies for working effectively as a designer alongside subject specialists;
- identify those points in the design and development process at which documentation is required and describe what should be included in that documentation, who should be involved in creating it and who should approve it;
- describe the three main levels at which digital content needs to be managed and the ways in which this can be accomplished effectively.
How long does it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is comprised of 11 lessons, each of which includes a short video and one or more activities to complete. The activities are optional but will help you to build your skills and confidence. We'll also provide you with a range of valuable resources that you can use for on-going reference and opportunities to engage with others taking the course.
If you complete the course, you will receive a Skills Journey certificate. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (4:32)
StartApplications for digital learning content (15:53)
StartRoles in digital learning design (3:30)
StartThe process of design and development (8:19)
StartBuilding on sound foundations (7:25)
StartDesigning great digital content (8:07)
StartWorking with subject specialists (7:12)
StartDocumenting design (10:25)
StartManaging content (9:07)
StartEnhancing the digital learning experience (6:19)
StartWhere do you go from here? (2:59)
StartPutting your learning into practice
StartBefore you go