You cannot manage what you cannot measure
What have we got here?
Evaluating success is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at learning professionals who have a responsibility for providing strategic consulting services for their clients, whether you operate internally as a manager, learning specialist or business partner, or externally as a consultant. Specifically, you will be interested in the broader context in which a population of employees learns and develops over time and not just at how to make a formal response to a particular problem.
What will I learn?
This course will enable you to:
- apply a range of measures to determine how efficiently a solution has been implemented, including time, cost, volume and use of capacity;
- select appropriate techniques for measuring the response of learners to your solution;
- select appropriate techniques for assessing whether the desired learning outcomes have been achieved;
- select appropriate techniques for determining whether the desired behaviour change has taken place and whether the learning solution was the cause of any change;
- select appropriate techniques for determining whether the desired impact has been made and whether the learning solution was the cause of any impact;
- calculate ‘value for money’ using return on investment analysis;
- weighing up all the evidence, determine whether a solution has been successful in meeting expectations and how it could be improved for the future.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends.
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is composed of seven lessons, each of which includes a short video and an activity to complete. These activities are optional but will help you to build your skills and confidence. We'll also provide you with a number of resources to assist you in putting your new skills into practice, including handouts and an infographic.
If you complete the course, you'll receive a Skills Journey certificate. If you want, you can complete an optional assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Lessons in this Course
StartGetting started (2:23)
StartMeasuring the efficiency of the solution (5:44)
StartMeasuring reactions to the solution (6:55)
StartAssessing learning (7:29)
StartMeasuring behaviour change (4:05)
StartMeasuring impact (4:01)
StartBringing it all together (5:51)
StartPutting your learning into practice
StartBefore you go