What have we got here?
Writing for learning is a self-paced, online course that you can start, finish or just dip into at any time. It's one of a growing catalogue of Skills Journey courses for learning professionals. You can buy this course on its own or subscribe to the whole catalogue.
Is this course right for me?
The course is aimed at anyone who has a responsibility for writing learning materials, including learning professionals, subject experts and creative specialists. The course covers all types of writing including on-screen text, interactive materials, dialogue, voiceover and print-based materials.
What will I learn?
Take this course and familiarise yourself with the ten key principles of writing for learning:
- Write for the learner
- Adopt a friendly, conversational tone
- Write clearly
- Be concise
- Favour concrete examples and storytelling over abstractions
- Avoid unnecessary jargon
- Make sure your material is technically accurate
- Take care over punctuation and spelling
- Avoid stereotyping
- Work sympathetically with other media
Learn how to apply the ten principles to a wide range of learning media formats:
- blog posts and short articles;
- handouts and job aids;
- interactive materials, including quizzes, tutorials and scenarios;
- voiceover for videos and slide shows;
- acted sequences in videos and podcasts;
- visual aids such as slides and infographics.
How long will it take?
Well, it all depends:
- If you’re curious about something or you need to know urgently how to carry out a task, you could get in, get what you want and get out again in less than 10 minutes.
- If what you need is a quick appreciation of the subject matter covered by the course, you could watch all the lesson videos in an hour, give or take. You’d be better off spreading this over a few days, but if an hour is all you’ve got, then go ahead and binge.
- Our courses are roughly equivalent in scope to a one or two day classroom event. If you were to spend a whole day on one of our courses, perhaps spread over a week or two, you’d be able to complete all the activities and begin applying your new skills to your work.
How does it all work?
The course is made up of eight lessons, each of which includes a video and one or more optional activities designed to help you build your skills and confidence. We'll also provide you with resources you can use for on-going reference.
If you complete the course, you'll receive a Skills Journey certificate. Optionally, you can complete an assignment to help you put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your skills to others.
This resource has been designed, developed and presented by the Skills Journey team, drawing upon decades of experience working with learning and development professionals across the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
As the course is self-paced, you decide when you start and when you finish, if indeed you finish at all.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I find the course isn't suitable for me?
Not a problem. You can get your money back up to 30 days after purchasing.
Why should I trust the content of this course?
The Skills Journey curriculum has been designed with the help of some of the world’s most respected thought leaders and most experienced practitioners. Our authors have helped thousands of learning professionals to transform their skills and improve their confidence. We base our content on the latest, evidence-based principles of teaching and learning and on practice that has been proven to work in the real world.
I'm interested in quite a few of your courses. Do I have to buy each one individually?
In a word, no! Our entire catalogue, plus extra goodies, is available on a subscription basis for £25 a month (or £200 if you pay on an annual basis). That works out at under £1 a day. You can dip in and out of the catalogue to your heart’s content to follow up on your interests or get support to help you with a current work challenge. Find out more
I'd like to enrol on this course. What happens next?
You cannot enrol yet because the course is not yet ready to launch. However, you can use the form above to register your interest and we'll tell you when it's available.
This course is not open for enrollment.